Affiliated Parties: The Organic Valley Pvt Ltd & Hariyo Ban Program – WWF
Project Area: Buffer Zone Area of Chitwan National Park – Lamechaur, Nawalparasi.
Project Period: December 2018 to January 2019
The project, “Organic Turmeric Cultivation and Processing in Buffer Zone Area – An Opportunity of Self Reliance” was been implemented in Nawalparasi District. In coordination with “Lamechaur Buffer Zone Area”, 3 different Buffer Zone Community Forest User Groups were selected namely; “Kumarwarti Madhyawarti Samudayik Ban”, “Krishnasar Madhyawarti Samudayik Ban” and “Namuna Madhyawarti Samudayik Ban” in Year 1 (January 2018 to January 2019). Through the project, turmeric was cultivated in 5 hectare land of Buffer Zone of Chitwan National Park which was organic certified by Ceres, Germany.
Presently, turmeric farmers and Processors in Nawalparasi are susceptible to extremely low margins due to presence of rampant fungi infection, lack of facilities for industrial extraction and traditional drying and processing techniques. Addressing to this issue, the project was initiated to enhance the capabilities of small holder farmers to reduce the crop disease, produce quality and volume based turmeric and export it to international market through reduced supply chain. This initiation helped both farmers and processor to get right price for their agriculture produce. Moreover, the intervention revived the technical skill of turmeric farming to the target farmers in producing high quality organic turmeric.
The harvested produces of this year (2018/2019) was semi processed into dried turmeric slice and exported to Germany, Europe.
Activities: The project carried out following activities;
1. Identification of the pocket areas through need and production volume.
2. Conduction of baseline survey of targeted beneficiaries.
3. Capacity building training on Organic Turmeric Farming and Organic Inputs Production
4. Organic Certified Seed Support to the farmers
5. Organic Certification of the land and product
6. Branding and Marketing of Turmeric produced in the project intervention area.
7. Monitoring and Evaluation
Output of the Project
- Income of farmers (listed beneficiaries) of Nawalparasi increased by 15% to 20%.
- Introduce and capacitate 403 farmers on Organic Internal Control System and facilitate on Organic way of Turmeric Farming and Organic Inputs Preparation.
- Certification of 5 hectare of land in Buffer Zone Area
- Farmers entitled to receive equitable benefits.